The YMCA is a large charitable organization with clubs all across the United States. They regularly post jobs that are suitable for professionals with at least some college background. This article is going to detail the basic employment opportunities that the YMCA current offers, and give some basic YMCA job application and interview advice.
YMCA Employment Opportunities – Overview
YMCA is an excellent place to apply for job seekers who have a strong professional background and are looking for their next career. They have a wide assortment of jobs that cover areas like human resources, teaching, management, and coaching.
One of their starting positions that is perfect for recent graduates with a Bachelor’s degree is the membership associate position. It has a strong base salary with opportunities for performance-based incentives each month.
Another position to consider for applicants that prefer to work on their own is the building maintenance technician. This posting requires minimal amounts of guest interaction, and has a variety of perks that make it worth considering for qualified candidates.
There is also a wide range of director level positions across many different business areas. These positions are best suited for the most qualified candidates. Some examples include Aquatics Director, Director of Risks Management and Aquatic Safety, and Senior Director of Program Operations.
YMCA Application Process
To get started with your YMCA job application, visit their employment portal. It lists a wide range of positions organized by publishing date and position title.
1. You can customize your search by entering keywords, specifying your state, selecting the service area, and adjusting the posting period.
2. Once you have adjusted your search parameters, click the gray “Go” button to update the employment listings.
3. When you find a position you are interested in, click the job title to learn more about the position.
4. Each job page will give you a breakdown of the requirements associated with the position. Some of the basic information includes the location, the minimum educational requirements, and starting compensation.
5. Review the YMCA job application requirements carefully to make sure that you are a good match for the position. Many of the positions require special certifications to be considered for the job listing.
6. If you wish to continue, scroll to the bottom of the page.
7. Some job openings will only be accepting applications via email, and others will have a unique link that directs you to the website for the specific YMCA where the job is located at.
8. Pay attention to the instructions, and complete all the required information to submit your resume or YMCA job application.
YMCA Job Openings
Membership Associate Job Description
Membership Associate Job Duties
- Provide customer service to prospective and existing members
- Identify and build relationships with members of the community
- Meet and exceed membership goals as outlined by management
- Support the daily operations of the YMCA
- Participate in ongoing activities within the community
Membership Associate Job Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience is required for this position. A minimum of three years sales experience is also needed.
Membership Associate Salary & Benefits
The starting pay for the position is of $30,000 to $35,000 a year, with benefits like 401k, health insurance, and performance incentives.
Membership Associate Work Schedule
The position is full-time, and works 40 hours or more each week.
Building Maintenance Technician Job Description
Building Maintenance Technician Job Duties
- Maintain a fully stocked workshop and accurately record inventory
- Repair and replace central aspects of building construction as needed
- Assist grounds crew as needed throughout the day
- Basic masonry repair as needed
- Other duties as assigned by management
Building Maintenance Technician Job Requirements
There are no formal educational requirements for this position, and the minimum age to handle the equipment is 18 years old. A sound understanding of carpentry and masonry is required.
Building Maintenance Technician Salary & Benefits
The starting pay for building maintenance technicians is of $16 to $18 an hour, based on experience. Benefits like 401k, vacation time, and health insurance are available.
Building Maintenance Technician Work Schedule
This position is full-time only, and works 40 hours or more each week.
Aquatics Director Job Description
Aquatics Director Job Duties
- Direct, supervise, and monitor all manner of aquatic operations
- Actively manage department budget to ensure it stays within established parameters
- Review and evaluate staff and volunteer performance
- Accurately record and track volunteer efforts
- Maintain appropriate records and adhere to document retention requirements
Aquatics Director Job Requirements
A two-year college degree or equivalent work experience is required. There is a strong preference for Bachelor’s degrees, and a current CPR certification is required.
Aquatics Director Salary & Benefits
The starting pay for this position is from $34,683 to $36,850, based on experience. It is eligible for benefits like health insurance, 401k, and vacation.
Aquatics Director Work Schedule
The position is salaried, and works a minimum of 40 hours each week, with occasional overtime.
Director of Risk Management and Aquatic Safety Job Description
Director of Risk Management and Aquatic Safety Job Duties
- Implement and maintain proper safety procedures for designated area
- Ensure department maintains required training certifications
- Respond to and debrief media in emergency situations
- Promote a positive club environment
- Participate in community events when needed
Director of Risk Management and Aquatic Safety Job Requirements
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required for this position. Lifeguarding and CPR certification is also required for this position.
Director of Risk Management and Aquatic Safety Salary & Benefits
The starting pay for this position ranges from $47,000 to $55,000 a year. Employees receive benefits like 401k, health insurance, and paid time off.
Director of Risk Management and Aquatic Safety Work Schedule
This is a salaried position that averages 40 hour weeks, with overtime required during special events.
Senior Director of Program Operations Job Description
Senior Director of Program Operations Job Duties
- Develops and implements plans for a variety of club recreational areas
- Provides direct program delivery as needed for various areas
- Maintains high-quality programs by directly leading and continuing to develop staff
- Assures compliance with state and federal regulations are maintained
- Conduct interviews when appropriate for subordinate positions
Senior Director of Program Operations Job Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree in an equivalent field and at least four years experience is required to be considered for this position.
Senior Director of Program Operations Salary & Benefits
The starting pay for this position is $58,000 to $63,000 a year, based on experience. It includes a benefits package with 401k, health insurance, and paid time off.
Senior Director of Program Operations Work Schedule
The position works a minimum of 40 hours each week, with overtime being required during peak operating periods.
YMCA Application & Interview Tips
The most important thing you should do before starting an application at the a YMCA job application is to make sure that you have built an effective cover letter. To create one, you should include specific bits of information that directly state why you would be a good fit for a given position.
Examples include the number of years of experience you have working in a relevant field, and any professional certifications you already possess that directly relate to the position. Another popular thing to include in a cover letter is your professional goals and a personalized reason for why you are applying for the given position.
Try to touch base on the core values that make up the YMCA in your response. These organizations are built to serve the communities they operate in, and the YMCA looks for applicants who share these values.
Remember to pay careful attention to each YMCA job application and its instructions. These instructions can differ significantly for the same job title that is posted at different locations. Each location has its own hiring practices that they follow, so it is best to create a unique response to each job posting.
YMCA Opening Hours
Hours will vary significantly based on club location, so it is best to use their locator tool first before contacting them.
YMCA Contact Information
While many individual YMCA clubs have their own unique sites, the official YMCA website can help you with questions related to the YMCA job application process. You can contact the YMCA using their Contact Us page, or via telephone by calling 1-800-872-9622.