Bi-Lo is a fairly large grocery chain with over 160 locations in states like Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. They offer a wide range of employment opportunities for both full-time and part-time workers. This article is going to offer an overview of the employment opportunities available at the company. It will also offer some interview tips, and detail the Bi-Lo job application process.
Bi-Lo Employment Opportunities – Overview
Bi-Lo offers a wide selection of employment opportunities for you to consider on their website. The opportunities range from entry-level to experienced positions across a wide range of different service areas.
If you are new to the workforce, there are plenty of options to consider. One example is the customer service associate position. It is a great fit for students who are looking to make a little bit of extra cash while building their resumes. There are also options that are suitable for workers who prefer working nights, like the overnight grocery associate.
If you prefer full-time work, there are a variety of other positions to consider as well. Deli associates are almost always in need, and are frequently full-time. There are also options like the fresh department associate, if you prefer working with fruits and vegetables.
If you are experienced in management, there are numerous professional opportunities to consider as well. The bakery manager is a prime example that offers a great deal of long-term growth potential.
Bi-Lo Application Process
To start your Bi-Lo job application process, visit their employment portal. The first thing that you will notice is that the employment portal is for Southeastern Grocers. They own a variety of grocery chains, including Bi-Lo.
1. There is a simple search box where you can input a keyword and your location. It is recommended that you leave the search box empty, unless you are looking for a very specific job entry, to maximize your search listings.
2. Once you have entered your location, click the white “Search” button to see the available job listings.
3. The default display order for the job postings is by job title. To simplify things, you can sort them by location to see what postings are available for a specific store. You can do this by clicking the “Address” header in red to update your results.
4. Remember to pay attention to the “Banner” field to make sure you are applying at a Bi-Lo location. This is particularly important for areas where multiple companies owned by Southeastern Grocers operate.
5. When you find a posting you are interested in, click the job title to learn more about it. You will find a listing of the core requirements of the job and its responsibilities.
6. If you are still interested, click the red “Apply” button to continue.
7. Click the “Apply For This Job Online” button once you have read over the requirements again.
8. You will need to create an account to complete your Bi-Lo job application. You can use this account to quickly fill out future applications.
9. Most postings have a special personality test to determine if you are a good fit for the position. Answer the questions truthfully.
10. Monitor your email carefully for correspondences relating to your Bi-Lo job application status.
Bi-Lo Job Openings
Bagger Job Description
Bagger Job Duties
- Bag merchandise in an efficient manner
- Assist customers with various questions and concerns
- Return shopping carts to designated areas
- Help customers carry out orders when needed
- Return unwanted merchandise to the correct store area
Bagger Job Requirements
There is no minimum educational requirement for this job, and you can be as young as 16 years old.
Bagger Salary & Benefits
The average starting rate for baggers is $7.72 to $8 an hour. This position does not typically come with any benefits outside of an employee discount during special events.
Bagger Work Schedule
Most bagger positions are part-time only, and work 20 to 30 hours each week.
Customer Service Associate Job Description
Customer Service Associate Job Duties
- Manage ACM lanes and assist customers with any issues
- Resolve customer issues and involve management as needed
- Return merchandise to store shelves
- Report incidents of employee or customer theft
- Perform cashier duties as needed
Customer Service Associate Job Requirements
You must be at least 18 years old to be considered for the customer service associate position. A high school diploma or equivalent is strongly preferred.
Customer Service Associate Salary & Benefits
Most customer service associates start at $8 an hour. Benefits like health insurance and 401k are available once certain hour requirements are met.
Customer Service Associate Work Schedule
Customer service associates are full-time and part-time, with hours ranging from 20 to 40 hours each week.
Bakery Associate Job Description
Bakery Associate Job Duties
- Greet and assist customers in a timely fashion
- Prepare fresh baked goods according to company procedure
- Rotate stock as needed to maintain product freshness
- Keep area neat and clean when needed
- Assist bakery manager with a variety of tasks
Bakery Associate Job Requirements
The minimum age for the bakery associate position is 18 years old. No formal education is required, but experience with baking is highly preferred.
Bakery Associate Salary & Benefits
Most bakery associates start from $8 to $9 an hour, based on their past experience. Benefits like health insurance, 401k, and vacation are available to eligible employees.
Bakery Associate Work Schedule
Bakery associates positions are available as both full-time and part-time positions, with hours ranging from 20 to 40 hours a week.
Bakery Manager Job Description
Bakery Manager Job Duties
- Manage inventory, production, and control shrink by following company procedure
- Adjust employee work schedules as needed to ensure adequate staffing
- Develop bakery associates by monitoring ongoing training
- Assist customers and maintain guest satisfaction ratings
- Grow and develop business according to store goals
Bakery Manager Job Requirements
You need to be at least 18 years old and possess a high school diploma or equivalency to be considered for this position. You must also have at least one year of management experience as well.
Bakery Manager Salary & Benefits
The average hourly rate for bakery managers is $16 to $17 an hour, based on experience and store volume. This position is eligible for store bonuses as well, based on growth and performance. Benefits like health insurance and 401k are available.
Bakery Manager Work Schedule
Baker managers are full-time only, and work 35 to 40 hours each week, with occasional overtime.
Deli Associate Job Description
Deli Associate Job Duties
- Take customer orders via telephone and in person
- Assist customers with locating product and inform them of relevant promotions
- Prepare custom deli meat orders by using slicers
- Follow all relevant safety procedures
- Clean and maintain the work area throughout the day
Deli Associate Job Requirements
You need to be at least 18 years old to be a deli associate, and there is no minimum educational requirement.
Deli Associate Salary & Benefits
Deli associates start at around $9 an hour, and are eligible for benefits like health insurance, vacation pay, and 401k.
Deli Associate Work Schedule
Deli associate positions are available in both full-time and part-time varieties, with hours ranging from 20 to 40 hours a week.
Bi-Lo Application & Interview Tips
The most important thing to remember when filling out a Bi-Lo job application is that their employment portal is operated by Southeastern Grocers. This means that job postings will display for other grocery chains owned by them as well, like Winn Dixie, Fresco, and Harveys. Pay careful attention to the ”Banner” field to make sure you are applying for positions with the correct company.
The next tip to consider when applying is to pick positions that fit your personal goals and professional background. If you have experience handling cash or assisting customers, you stand a much greater chance landing a position in customer service than a position working in the back stocking.
If you have never worked before, think of an innovative response to why you would be a good fit. For students in high school, your attendance record is a great indicator of your diligence and work ethic. Remember to bring this up with your interviewer to showcase your dedication to sticking with scheduling commitments.
For specialty areas like the bakery, it helps if you have some background knowledge to get your foot in the door. Even if you do not have experience working in an actual professional bakery, be sure to include relevant background knowledge like professional certifications and apprenticeships.
The last thing to remember is to always be as accurate as possible about your employment history. Bi-Lo does a background check on all employees, and any discrepancy in your employment record can potentially ruin your conditional offer of employment.
Bi-Lo Opening Hours
Most Bi-Lo locations are open from 7 AM to 10 PM. Specific Bi-Lo store hours are found on their Store Locator.
Bi-Lo Contact Information
The official Bi-Lo website can be accessed for questions regarding the Bi-Lo job application process. Their website has a useful contact form for most basic inquiries. Customer service can also be reached via phone at 1-800-768-4438.